Tuesday, August 12, 2008

veggies


Today, I found a nice place to do grocery shopping near our place. Since the ward district I live in has the largest areas of vegetable fields in the city, I knew that they offer a lot of local food. But I had not found a place offering the local fresh ones by the farmers directly till today.

There is a supermarket near the station but I seldom buy veggies there because they are too expensive to buy regularly. Usually I go to the different supermarket which is located a bit farther but they sell stuffs cheaper.

I just stopped by the ward office to find some social activity for volunteering after going to the dentist. I happened to find the colorful spot at the corner there. I was so happy to find the place that I bought a lot today: bitter melons, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, corns and pears. They cost just 1,000 yen (approximately $10) in total. If I bought them at the supermarket, they would have been almost double, I guess.

Actually, these days vegetables are not so expensive compared to those in previous days but I cannot help comparing them with in the US. The price is the same but the amount is much less in Japan. In addition, we have to buy them almost every other day because they easily get decayed. I suppose they are fresh but they are not given less chemicals, which is good for us.

Today, I cooked summer curry with a lot of corns for dinner:)

2 comments:

Asami said...

This past spring,my ex-colleague gave me lettuce which he grew them without any use of pesticide.They were soooo sweet! I've never tryed to put corns in curry.How's the taste?

bestwishes.ryoko said...

Sorry to put my comment this late. I really like to buy organic veggies all the time, but as you know, the price is far different from regular ones....
Corn matches curry but the curry should not be watery but more solid. So, if you try to make summer curry, just put a little water and less curry roux paste. And also you should use grounded meat;)