Monday, August 25, 2008

Power of a piece of flower

I have got a job to teach at a private girls high school from September as a part-time teacher. Today I went to the school to have a meeting with my future colleagues to discuss the classes starting from fall.

On the way back from the school to the nearest station, I found something brightly yellow on the ground, which was kind of a bush just next to the sidewalk. Since it has been raining for a couple of days consecutively, everything around seemed dim and grey, but the yellow was so vivid and outstanding in the rain. I soon realized that it was a piece of sunflower but I wondered why it was there without becoming darkish. But the yellow color was too strong for me to miss something important behind it. But just after I passed the flower, I felt something, and looked back. Then I found that there was a dead cat beneath the flower.

She (or maybe he) was so wet and her color was brown, and therefore she was hidden with the color of the ground. Usually, I felt so sad and even scared to find or see dead animals, and try not to see them as much as I can. However, I felt different feeling this time. Her face looked very peaceful and even cute and I did not feel scared. Even the scene made my heart warm. If I had just found the cat without the flower, I would have felt the same as usual. Iwould have run away from it. Only one piece of flower changed the sad or scary situation into a peaceful one.

From the scene, there are a lot of stories I could imagine. The cat might have been killed by a car on the street, someone felt sorry for her and s/he may have moved the cat to the sidewalk. Someone may have felt guilty if s/he was the driver. Someone may have been just a passer-by and felt sorry for her. Or, the cat may have just died the because of some kind of illness or aging. But I am sure that someone put the flower on the cat for her. The vivid yellow color of the flower obviously showed someone's prayer for the cat.

I just passed by the place, but the scene is still in my mind lively. I will pray for the cat before going to bed today.

3 comments:

Asami said...

After I red your story, this lovely flower reminded me of "Pieta" which is the famous pictures or images, Virgin Mary is holding the dead body of Christ.
Thank you for a heartwarming story!Merci;-)

cool linguists said...

congrats for the new job, Ryoko-san:)
Happy for you!!!
Ganbatte ne :0

bestwishes.ryoko said...

>Asami chan,thanks for your comment. Yes, I like "Pieta" as well. BTW, I will go to the exhibition of John Everett Millais in Shibuya soon. I wish you can come with me!

>Nelly san, thanks for your congrats. How is the Japanese class? How is learning of Hiragana? I wish you the best of luck:)